Tag Archives: quadcopter

FEA Simulation & Real Life Testing

I wanted to make an improvement to the quadcopter since the timber arms, although cheap to replace, tend to break too easily. The main problem is that on impact the force tends to split the timber where it mounts into the hub.
I came up with a quick printed arm design and then did some testing. This also gave me a chance to compare the real life results with the FEA simulation. Here are the results. Continue reading FEA Simulation & Real Life Testing

Quadcopter Still a Work In Progress

The quadcopter has been frustrating me a little. The ESCs still shutdown with random faults and the motors stall on start-up. One of the solutions I found was to disarm the controller, arm the controller and then give the transmitter a big hit of throttle whilst holding the quadcopter down with one hand. This sometimes had enough torque to get all motors spinning but wouldn’t always work and was quite hazardous having four blades with ~650Watts of power behind them. The last occasion I tried this a propeller blade flexed, the motor wires on the boom moved a enough to catch and a broken prop was the result. The broken blade was later found several meters away. Continue reading Quadcopter Still a Work In Progress

Quadcopter Takes Flight

P1000295

Yesterday was much more successful with the quad-copter project.
There was still a few intermittent problems with motors not being able to spin up. I gave the battery a charge to make sure it wasn’t the LVC (low voltage cutout) causing the problem but that didn’t solve it.

Next I used the programming card to re-programme the settings in the ESCs (electronic speed controllers). The first time didn’t work and the limited instructions weren’t much help but a second attempt was successful. Tip – double check the jumpers are in the right position on the programming card and leave it long enough to properly program the settings.

The final result was a few successful hovers at around 1.5m altitude (this was just testing it in the common area in front of our house and there were hazards like cars and small children nearby to limit the flights). Initially it had a nasty oscillation in the roll axis but adjustments to the PI settings in the KK2.1.5 control board reduced this. Further tuning in a suitable area will have it flying well.

P1000286

Above is the initial assortment of parts. I already had the transmitter and just added another receiver.

P1000301

The original landing gear used “pop-sticks” as the sprung element in the gear. These weren’t strong enough in the initial tests and the landing-gear was redesigned.

P1000302

The Anycopter build is great as a simple first time build to get started. I recommend watching the FliteTest video on the construction. I’ve learnt a lot and can already see areas I want to improve on to customise it for my planned usage.

 

The Beginning

 

P1000338The website and blog are now up and running.

Today I also had a successful lift off with the prototype quadcopter.

It’s based on the Anycopter design from Flitetest.com. With my custom designed 3D-printed motor mounts and landing gear. The gear uses fibre-glass rods salvaged from a kite that didn’t fly too well.

The landing gear works well but the ESCs (Electronic Speed Controllers) seem a bit delicate. Self-leveling was switched off on the KK2.1.5 control board and there were a few rough landings, now the front two props aren’t spinning.