When developing a design it can be an incredibly useful skill to analise how & why a part/design failed and learn from that.
I wanted to make an improvement to the quadcopter since the timber arms, although cheap to replace, tend to break too easily. The main problem is that on impact the force tends to split the timber where it mounts into the hub.
I came up with a quick printed arm design and then did some testing. This also gave me a chance to compare the real life results with the FEA simulation. Here are the results. Continue reading FEA Simulation & Real Life Testing
As can be seen from the photo above, the new mounts are solid around the screw holes and much stronger. Continue reading Stronger Motor Mounts
More success came with re-flashing all the ESCs with “kda_nfet” firmware. There is a nice little socket which fits over the AVR chip with pogo contacts but I did it the hard way to make sure it worked before spending any more money.
What’s the best way to test if a device is strong enough?
Use it until it breaks. make the broken part stronger, then repeat. Continue reading Quadcopter Success (Part-1)
The quadcopter has been frustrating me a little. The ESCs still shutdown with random faults and the motors stall on start-up. One of the solutions I found was to disarm the controller, arm the controller and then give the transmitter a big hit of throttle whilst holding the quadcopter down with one hand. This sometimes had enough torque to get all motors spinning but wouldn’t always work and was quite hazardous having four blades with ~650Watts of power behind them. The last occasion I tried this a propeller blade flexed, the motor wires on the boom moved a enough to catch and a broken prop was the result. The broken blade was later found several meters away. Continue reading Quadcopter Still a Work In Progress