I was unfortunate enough to have the battery fail in my car recently. It had given an indication that it wasn’t well, with a few failed starts & stalled cranks. But it would start the engine and when I checked the battery it tested fine, the alternator was charging correctly and it only accepted a small top up charge. It wasn’t till I had to isolate the battery while doing other work that I noticed the corrosion above. Then…Continue reading Lithium Starter Battery
A new printer has arrived at Speeddevice.
I recently changed the stepper drivers on the MPCNC engraver/router/plotter. Previously I was using a Gecko G540 but I want to save this for another project.
Three TB6600 stepper drivers were purchased and a new power supply was wired up. Continue reading CNC Stepper Drivers
The MP CNC (Mostly Printed CNC) is now working and being tested as a pen plotter before attaching a rotary tool. There have been some interesting problems. To find out more about those and my recommendations read on. Continue reading MPCNC Testing
It has been very busy here with numerous projects but the main project has been a new simple CNC router.
This is based on the “Mostly Printed CNC” machine that has featured on Hackaday, Thingiverse and other websites. This is small 3-axis machine with belt drives on the x & y axis. The z-axis has been upgraded to a lead-screw and nut.
The purpose of this machine is to get familiar with the software & hardware before commencing work on a larger platform router and then on to a third machine which should be a solid steel frame for machining metal parts. Continue reading Workshop Projects
When developing a design it can be an incredibly useful skill to analise how & why a part/design failed and learn from that.
This was a practical application of using 3D-printing to fabricate replacements for obsolete parts. The center caps for Holden Commodores with steel rims is a good addition to crate a tidy standard looking vehicle. These parts were commonly available and many were probably thrown away when steel rims were upgraded to alloy wheels but now a set can be from $100 – $180. Continue reading Replacing Obsolete Parts
I wanted to make an improvement to the quadcopter since the timber arms, although cheap to replace, tend to break too easily. The main problem is that on impact the force tends to split the timber where it mounts into the hub.
I came up with a quick printed arm design and then did some testing. This also gave me a chance to compare the real life results with the FEA simulation. Here are the results. Continue reading FEA Simulation & Real Life Testing
The pick-off is now finished.
The linishing was completed using an abrasive “flap-wheel” with a little bit of hand finishing. Continue reading Pick-Off Finished
The toroidal pick-off from the previous post has been printed. Continue reading Toroidal Pick-Off Printed