After a few decades of sitting around the carb on the little Honda wasn’t looking so great but with bi-carb soda in a media blasting gun the parts were cleaned up to brand new condition in no time.Continue reading Honda QA-50 Carb Clean-Up
I was unfortunate enough to have the battery fail in my car recently. It had given an indication that it wasn’t well, with a few failed starts & stalled cranks. But it would start the engine and when I checked the battery it tested fine, the alternator was charging correctly and it only accepted a small top up charge. It wasn’t till I had to isolate the battery while doing other work that I noticed the corrosion above. Then…Continue reading Lithium Starter Battery
It takes a lot of work to get to the stage of putting a bike project back together. Media blasting, sanding, de-greasing & ordering new parts. It can be tempting to rush but taking care in assembly will make sure everything works. It took a few trial assemblies to get the shims right on the QA-50 engine & transmission. Everything was fitting together nicely with minimal end-play. Then this happened…Continue reading It Takes A Lot of Work…
It may be quiet on the blog
Quiet on the blog but it has been busy in the workshop with a number of projects progressing. My VSCCS application has been approved in NSW and I am just waiting on a response from the WA Department of Transport. And the picture? Well one of the projects in progress is a rebuild of a 1974 Honda QA50. This is the engine casing after a quick bead blasting.Continue reading Quiet On the Blog but…
A new printer has arrived at Speeddevice.
A recent inspection on a Holden Commodore revealed that the power steering cooler was leaking. The standard cooler is a length of 3/8″ steel tube running horizontally in front of the radiator. These are known for rusting and splitting or leaking fluid. Below is a close up of the part that was removed.
After using a popular “blender” for approximately nine months the blades no longer span as fast (audibly) and there would be a faint burning rubber smell after use. When the manufacturer was contacted I was informed that the base with the blades was a consumable item and they expected them to be replaced every six months. Continue reading Badly Engineered or Good Marketing?
As mentioned previously on this blog, this is a motard style conversion of a Honda CRM 250 using a 2007 model Aprilia RS-125 wheels, discs and front brake caliper.
A custom bracket was designed in Solidworks to adapt the radially mounted caliper to the original brake caliper mounting holes. Designing in 3D allowed the part to be simulated (FEA) with heavy braking loads and calculate the factor of safety, stress, strain and distortion.
One of the advantages of using the Aprilia wheels over the popular wire spoke wheels is that they incorporate a cush-drive to reduce driveline vibrations. Continue reading Motard Complete & Tested
The APRILIA RS-125 caliper has finally been installed on the Honda CRM-250. The brake system has been bled with a quality DOT-4 brake fluid. It now has a solid feel (though there is some sponginess due to brake hose expansion – this may be replaced with a braided line) and no leeks in the system. So far low-speed testing has been carried out with further testing to come.
This was a practical application of using 3D-printing to fabricate replacements for obsolete parts. The center caps for Holden Commodores with steel rims is a good addition to crate a tidy standard looking vehicle. These parts were commonly available and many were probably thrown away when steel rims were upgraded to alloy wheels but now a set can be from $100 – $180. Continue reading Replacing Obsolete Parts