I was contacted by John about the ignition sector gear I had made for my HQ. He needed one for a Holden Torana, I pointed out an aftermarket one I had found for HX, HZ, LX & UC model Holdens but it doesn’t seem these black sector gears are interchangeable. It also seems like the white/cream coloured reproduction part is no longer available so I have started to make one.
Here is some of the early work based off the aluminium gear I had made.
I was unfortunate enough to have the battery fail in my car recently. It had given an indication that it wasn’t well, with a few failed starts & stalled cranks. But it would start the engine and when I checked the battery it tested fine, the alternator was charging correctly and it only accepted a small top up charge. It wasn’t till I had to isolate the battery while doing other work that I noticed the corrosion above. Then…
It takes a lot of work to get to the stage of putting a bike project back together. Media blasting, sanding, de-greasing & ordering new parts. It can be tempting to rush but taking care in assembly will make sure everything works. It took a few trial assemblies to get the shims right on the QA-50 engine & transmission. Everything was fitting together nicely with minimal end-play. Then this happened…
Quiet on the blog but it has been busy in the workshop with a number of projects progressing. My VSCCS application has been approved in NSW and I am just waiting on a response from the WA Department of Transport. And the picture? Well one of the projects in progress is a rebuild of a 1974 Honda QA50. This is the engine casing after a quick bead blasting.
Sorry for the lack of posts but the past several months have been quite busy relocating from the east coast to the west coast.
One advantage of relocating is it gives a good opportunity to reconfigure the work space and take advantages of lessons learnt in the previous workshop. Technology keeps involving and being able to incorporate some new ideas is always welcome.
This makes it very difficult to bleed the brakes but worst of all it is down right dangerous!
I was recently tasked with reconditioning a Honda CB-500 Four that had been left in the weather for a few years. When I saw the bike one of the first things that I noticed was the “front brake reservoir delete” or in simple terms a piece of Tygon tubing with a plug in it. I wasn’t impressed but had seen something similar plenty of times on the motorbike blogs and on race bikes.
Then when I went to bleed the front brake I had one squeeze of the lever (with the bleed nipple open) and then nothing. No brakes. No pumping. Nothing and the tube was still full of fluid. Continue reading Please Don’t Ever Do This!→